- 1. The applicant must have had work publicly performed.
The applicant must not have received any of the following awards at Yokohama Dance Collection in the past:
- Jury Prize (from 2011 on)
- French Embassy Prize for Young Choreographer
- Yokohama Prize for a Brilliant Future (formerly the Yokohama Arts/Cultural Foundation Prize)
Requirements for the Work Submitted with the Application
- 1. The performance must not exceed 20 minutes.
- 2. Works using expressive techniques restricted under Japanese law cannot be accepted.
- 3. Works previously performed at Yokohama Dance Collection are not permitted.
- 4. Each applicant (an individual or group) can submit only one work.
- 5. There are no restrictions on the number of performers in the work (solo, duo or group)
How to apply
After finishing your registration on the entry form, you will receive an auto-reply email with an URL. Please upload all the necessary materials to the URL within 24 hours after receiving the email.
After submitting an entry form, please upload all the necessary materials to the URL notified in the auto-reply email. Please combine materials necessary for application into one Zip file and upload it. Be sure to name the file by choreographer’s name.
The file is to be uploaded to “Dropbox”. You can upload them without Dropbox account. Referring to the image below, fill in your name and email address which you submitted in the entry form.
Your application will be completed after you upload the Application materials.
- 1. Submit entry form.
- 2. Check the auto-replied email upon submitting.
- 3. Combine the materials necessary for application into one Zip file.
- 4. Upload the Zip file to the URL notified in the auto-replied email.
*Be sure to name the Zip file by choreographer’s name.
The file is to be uploaded to “Dropbox”. You can upload it without Dropbox account. Referring to the image below, fill in your name and email address which you submitted in the entry form.
＊Your application will be completed after you upload the materials.
Materials to be submitted
Note that if there are problems with the materials submitted, your application will be rejected.
One portrait photograph of the choreographer.The file name for the photograph should take the format "Choreographer’s name"
* Permission for use of the photograph must be received from the photographer. If you are selected as a finalist, your photograph will be used in flyers and other publicity materials.)
Video of the work being submitted
- Video data should be in mp4 format.
- Use the name of the choreographer as the file name for the video file.
- Do not use the title of the work as the file name.
- The video submitted for the preliminary judging must be of the same work that would be performed at Yokohama Red Brick Warehouse No1.
- The file uploaded or Video data must contain only one work, which must comply with the time limit stated above.
- The video should minimize the use of special visual effects possible in video art.
- 3. A copy of either a flyer or a performance contract related to a previous performance of a work you have choreographed.
Technical Sheet (if the following conditions apply)
For the final performance, there will be limitations the time required for setting up (120 minutes) the staging and for rehearsals. If there are technically complex elements in the performance of the work you are submitting, please submit a detailed technical sheet separately.
Competition Ⅰ Performance
Yokohama Red Brick Warehouse No. 1, 3rd Floor Hall
- 1. Size of stage: 10.9 m wide by 10.9 m deep by 4.5 m high
Floor: Black linoleum
Wing curtains: 5 pairs (black)
Back curtain: Choice of a large black horizontal curtain (also can serve as a screen) or the red brick wall
In production. Scheduled to be updated in the end of June.
Please note that the venue and staging for the performance are subject to change.
NOTES FOR THE FINALES
- 1. Final stages will be held on Saturday 11 December and Sunday 12 December, 2021. Finalists will be performing on either one of the days.
- 2. The performance must last no more than 20 minutes.
- 3. The awardee for French Embassy Prize for Young Choreographer is required communication skills either in English or French.
- 4. Expenses such as regarding travel and accommodation are to be borne by the finalists.
- 5. Finalists’ cooperation on publicity and ticket sales are much appreciated.
- 6. Award ceremony will be held on Sunday 12 Decenber, 2021 at Yokohama Red Brick Warehouse No.1 3rd Floor Hall after judging meeting.
Competition Ⅰ Prize and Jury members
Opportunity to perform at the Prize’s Performance at Yokohama Dance Collection
¥400,000 prize (a grant to subsidize creative activities)
French Embassy Prize for Young Choreographer
About a few month of residency in France
Kinosaki International Arts Center Prize
Provide the opportunity for residency at Kinosaki International Arts Center (KIAC)
studioARCHITANZ Artist Support Prize
Provide the opportunity for creation at Studio Architanz (50hours)
Okami Sae(Dance Critic, Associate Professor of Kyoritsu Women’s University)
Kitamura Akiko(Choreographer, Dancer, Associate Professor of Shinshu University)
Kondo Ryohei(Director of CONDORS, Choreographer, Dancer)
Tada Junnosuke(Director, Artistic Director of TOKYO DEATHLOCK)
Hamano Fumio(Senior Editor, Shinshokan Dance Magazine)
Samson Sylvain(Cultural attaché of the French Embassy)
Director of the French Institute of Japan-Yokohama
Representative of the Centre national de la danse
※Winners for studioARCHITANZ Artist Support Prize, and other prizes awarded from international festivals will be selected by dance professionals from each organization.